View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 10:41 AM   #47
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

It is very annoying for us to. It is not like we are ignoring anyone. We signed up for Discover, we paid them, they simply have a LOT of red tape. Very annoying.
It was meant to go live days after everything else went live.

They break my #1 rule of business “Never make it difficult to take someone’s money.”

If I could design the whole process it would work like this:
1. You would fill out all your Credit information once on your computer (for each card), and this would be done through your browser. It would be stored with PGP.
2. You would click on a single button on a website for a given product.
3. By clicking on this “one button” the program would put the software in the CORRECT place on your system. There would be no “installation process” “directories to pick” etc. It would simply “BE” on your computer, ready to run at your willing.
4. If you didn’t own it at that point, it would run in demo mode, and if you clicked on “own it” it (not the web) would simply bring up a requester, you pick the card you want to use, enter your password, and BAM, you now own it. They keycode, and that whole process would be invisible, it would take care of the whole thing for you.

So, as a recap, from your point of view, you click on an product on the web, and it takes care of the whole process for you.

There are some other things going on I didn’t mention, like authentication, etc. And this whole thing assumes your system is secured (which M$ is not), and that your connected to the web (which almost everyone will be, and if your not, just bring your pocket sized ship to a dealer in the future, and they will do this same thing there).
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote