View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #31
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon32:
I don't see how the Aquarium could deal with this situation, short of having a table of all supported hardware.

So many variations on the same video card hardware are released with just minor changes that this table would be massive and impossible to maintain.

Fortunately, there's always MA2.6.

P.S. You may not be, but I'm really impressed with the support you're getting in this thread. The research into various video cards and the functionality that they offer.  
Yes, I'm impressed with this thread.

With respect to "dealing with" this issue, there are (in my view) two separate aspects: (a) how the simulation software deals with the issue, and (b) how Prolific deals with the issue. I think both parts have reasonable solutions. This thread is about part (a). And we're still doing diagnostics, but I believe that's just from intellectual curiosity.

One aspect not already mentioned, is what to do if the user changes video cards to a new one that does not support MA3 requirements (after MA3 has already been installed). [Or, off-topic, uninstalls DirectX9.0c]

I've made a suggestion about how to handle the part (a) issues - "simply" detect if MA3 isn't going to run properly, and don't run. [Of course, not really simple - but the alternative is to do something unpredictable like "black screen" or "blue screen"]

======================

I agree that a "massive out-of-date table" isn't appropriate as some of part (b). However, this thread may perhaps allow Prolific to more-correctly describe the video requirements. Clearly "Direct3D" isn't sufficient. I don't really expect a lot of people to read and analyze the requirements, but I am confident that Prolific wants them to be clear and comprehensive. For several obvious reasons.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote