View Single Post
Old 07-07-2002, 01:03 PM   #47
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

update coming 1.1.4 (Aug or before).

We are getting ready to release an update that fixes several issues. We skipped releasing 1.1.3, and are going to release 1.1.4. And we are releasing Normal and Wide at the same time from now on. We should have this before Aug 1.

But one thing I want to do is get on my soap box and tell you that pretty much EVERY bug we fix in the SereneScreen line at this point is really 100% due to a category we call here “S” (Someone else’s software).

Dual Monitor, audio on while window does not have focus, SereneScreen minimizing when a message comes in from an application. All of this is something the OS should fix, not Developers. But…because many or most of these things become apparent on our product, we have to write special code to deal with it.

Of interest, we just finished the Beta Mac version of the product. The Mac has such a clean OS that it does not even come with an installer! You can run the App, or drop the program in the Screen Saver directory, and it takes care of itself. Very nice.

I have in fact talked directly to one of the heads at Microsoft about fixing this. It is my opinion that Microsoft (and all OS manufacturers) have a fiduciary responsibility to allow developers to get their product on the OS by the simplest means possible. Product should not be installed. We should start by thinking of this from the other way, which is I click on a button and say, “YES,” I want that product to run on my computer, tell me when this is done. Like putting a DVD in a player, stick it in, and when it is all ready, hit play.

We have a ways to go.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote