View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 10:48 PM   #46
mps
Registered

Originally posted by feldon23
Everything in the aquarium is hard coded. It would take tremendous effort to do what you're talking about.

And I have to ask, a laptop as a server? and more importantly, you care what resolution you're running the screen on a server?

Servers are generally a tower that gos in the closet without a monitor or keyboard. Just PC Anywhere or Terminal Server to control it from remote.

I'm not saying your situation can't be accomodated but it would be difficult.
Let me clarify. X servers run on desktop machines not server machines. Basically, they "serve" windows to applications. Millions of desktop machines run X servers.

BTW, my machine is not a laptop. I simply use an LCD monitor. Many companies like Gateway (and Apple of course) now default their machines to LCD monitors. I believe that most desktop machines will ship with LCD monitors within a year, so this scenario will only become more common.

Finally, X servers are not the only desktop applications that have difficulty responding to changes in video settings. Screensavers that can use existing video settings will break far less often than those that must change the video settings.
mps is offline   Reply With Quote