View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
johnblommers
The Architect

Big Grin Performance isn't up to expectations

Today I downloaded and purchased the Goldfish Aquarium for Mac OS X beta and it sure is pretty. And I like it. I like it but would like to raise some questions about performance.

My system is a dual processor 2Ghz G5 with 1.5GB RAM. The main monitor is a 22-inch Apple Cinema display set to millions of colors and 1600x1024. When I run the Goldfish Aquarium screen saver I have all 5 fish on in a lush tank and get frame rates just over 100 fps. That's OK and reducing it to one fish makes maybe a 10% improvement. Yes I enabled the dual processor option (thanks for providing it!)

But I have a second dual headed Radeon 7000 with 32MB VRAM video car. Attached is a 15-inch LCD at 1024x768 and a 17-inch LCD at 1280x1024. Each runs at millions of colors and gets 16MB of VRAM from the card.

When I configure Goldfish Aquarium to use all three monitors the frame rate on each monitor drops down to about ONE frame per second. OK I know this product is still in beta.

BTW the sound preferenced don't take effect until you EXIT the setup - now that's odd. Feedback should be instantaneous.

Best ...
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote