View Single Post
Old 04-06-2002, 11:13 AM   #9
Innovan
Registered

What I would like is more audio clip variety. I'm a big fan of Impressions Games, and I love how they have a variety of natural sound loops 3-7 seconds long, each associated with an object that you add to the screen. These are *all* very serene!

There's actually 2 levels of sound:
1) Primary screen action sound. In serene screen terms, are we near a bubble tower, the filter wishing sound, or other dominating sound depending on the current view.

2) Background jukebox rotation sound clips playing underneath. Say the 15 objects on screen each have their own sound association. Rather than playing them all at once, there's a gentle rotation between them one at a time. In this case I'd say each "ornament" have it's own sound association, and rotate between them. (A soft sonar ping for the sub, a air pump glub-glub for the diver, a leaves swish-swishing sound for a small kelp forest, a soft, distant jingling of change for the treasure chest)

Most of there are taken from sound effect libraries sold to game developers for $80-$120.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about here, pick up the games Pharaoh or Zeus for $15 on amazon, or get the whole "Great Empires Collection" for $30. The sound rotation is fairly easy software, as is drawing up two volume sliders for "foreground sound" and "background sound". The designing of the audio clips themselves is the trick --main thing is making sure they're serene. Think "reverb and echo".

Last edited by Innovan; 04-06-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Innovan is offline   Reply With Quote