View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #1095
Andrew Jenkins
Registered

Embarassed

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
If you notice that the fish in that picture aren't quite as realistic as in the old program, it's because they don't have proper lighting yet. This means that the only shading is that which is drawn into the actual texture. The new fish will be able to bank and rotate in ways which they never could before, so the shaded areas must correspond with this. Before, the program simply turned on dynamic lighting, so shading and specular effects were automatic. But now, all "lighting" is done in Vertex Shaders, and I'm still struggling with the concept. I am able to combine the texture and lightplay in one rendering pass, but so far haven't been able to add diffuse lighting or specular effects. I could do it by making two rendering passes for each fish, but this really slows down the program. That is the area I'm working on today.  
...When you read notes like this you realise that there's MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE & I suspect many final touches before the master is happy with his piece of work.

Thanks all the same for the preview... have to get back to thinking about my wishlist now!
Andrew Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote