View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 01:16 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There are 2 kinds of polls in vBulletin.

Multiple choice, which allows the user to vote on 1-N items, and each vote has the same weight.

One choice, which allows the user to pick 1 favorite. Each vote has the same weight.

These kinds of polls appeal to me (maybe one of them is close to what you are talking about?):

Preference (point system) - give 1~5 scores on each item on the list. Each person's vote counts as 100%, but they can give different weights to each item. If they only vote on 5 out of the 15 items, then their "points" are distributed that way.

We did this for the fish ranking.

Ranking, Each user can pick their top 3 choices, and they are weighted 60%, 40%, 20%.

If we did the 'arranging' as you mention (the javascript involved would be a nightmare, how about 10 drop-down menus for first choice, second choice, third choice, etc. and as you select items, it removes them from the other menus?)

what if they only vote on 5 out of the 15? What if someone else votes on 12 of them?

I would hope that each person's vote counts as "100%" somehow.

This would be a GREAT PHP project for you (although you could write it in less than 10 lines of www.Rebol.com, this is what Rebol does best).
#1 I can't wait for the Rebol documentation to improve.
#2 How do you deploy Rebol on a website?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote