View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 12:44 PM   #107
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There are people who veil themselves in the cloak of Christianity and still do bad things. And there are people who are nice who aren't Christian. I judge people based on how they act, not any allegiance to a certain religion (Of course if someone were in a recognized cult, I would try to help them).

I thought the whole idea of a religion was to find a moral center and meaning in one's life. To be content and confident and nice to people. I manage to do that without being Christian. I used to be a master liar and manipulator. One day I decided I would not lie anymore. It wasn't easy, but now I follow the simple policy of honesty. I've lost some friends and gained others over it. When people hear me talk, I'm sure they think "If he says that in front of my face, I can only imagine what he says behind my back."

Also, this is the most important part. I attribute my successes and failures to myself or anyone along the way who has had an impact on my life. I don't give credit to anyone (or any spiritual force) unless I have reason to believe they have had a genuine impact on me.

Having been to the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, France, even as a non-Christian, I can tell you that that place has *presence*. Even a non-believer would be awed at the commitment to build such a shrine.

And yes, this thread is NOT where this forum is going. This is and will be a "one-of-a-kind thread". You'll notice it is in the Prolific area. It would have been closed long ago if it were in the SereneScreen area. Flag burning had to be discussed somewhere. I can't see us just tapdancing around it forever.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote