Thread: Current status
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #56
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think we have two or three different threads that cover this topic, so I may have posted the latest news in a different one.

Prolific is concentrating on getting the new Goldfish version out the door, then will turn their attention to Marine Aquarium 2.6. I know it seems like a simple thing to just replace the current file on the website with the new version, but it's actually a rather big deal. It must be tested for weeks to make sure that no bugs have been introduced. When you are dealing with tens of millions of customers, a tiny bug can generate an avalanche of email that can easily overwhelm a small company like Prolific. (Sure, the vast majority are unpaid customers using the free version, but they still feel entitled to customer service for some reason.) Before a new release, the servers must be beefed up to handle an onslaught of downloads. The upgrade and KeyCode policy must be re-thought. This version replaces MA 2.5, MA Time, MA Logo, and Widescreen. So we need to figure out who gets free upgrades, who has to pay, and how much. New text and art needs to be created for the Web site, new Frequently Asked Questions, etc. A new master disk must be created for the hardcopy version, a new installer, new disk art, and new packaging. New bar codes, SKU numbers, and product IDs must be created.

I've really just scratched the surface here, and I'm sure that Prolific could list dozens of other things that accompany a new release.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote