View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #23
cjmaddy
Registered

Michael: - I could not possibly imagine! .... Just another of our strange British sayings perhaps?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Before it is thought that I started this thread to 'slam' Jim in any way, let me say that nothing could be further from the truth.

All of us who have commented here, or who have communicated via PM, (of which there have been a number!), know only too well of Jim's dedication in the world of top class aquarium computer simulation. To most of us I am sure he will remain King! ... He was certainly the first, and still leads the way, for quality and perfection!

If the same care and attention to detail could have been shown to the marketing and product development, I think things could have been so much better. - IMO, the continuing success of Marine Aquarium has taken place in spite of, not because of, the way it has been brought to the market over recent years, There are so many areas in which things could have been done better, For just one example, the GUI is still confusing, with no real help for the first time user. The tab labelled 'Help' contains no help! - it is still nothing more than a list of keyboard shortcuts. (This has been pointed out a number of times. It should really be a basic tutorial, not a list of shortcuts.) And how does a newcomer sort out the difference between the two different anamorphic check boxes, - and what do they mean? - Even the default values are wrong if one of your monitors is a 1280x1024 flat panel. - But no explanation as to their use is given anywhere!

Jim, If the comments in this thread help even in only a very small way, to encourage you to rethink the struggles you appear to have been having in embracing new techniques, and returning to "Old School", as you put it, then I have no regrets at all about starting this thread! - You and others, will be aware of my opinions about how I wish various things and conditions could have been different. Perhaps that is just wishful thinking on my part, - but I can assure you that we all have the good of the product, and of yourself, at heart.

In an ideal world I would like to see MA continue development of marine aquaria, and DA to do the same for freshwater. And if some sort of collaboration could take place, then so much the better! - but I know that that can probably only be a dream ..... (no pun intended).

To end my rant. ...
It is not just selfishness on our part in wanting V3 tomorrow! ..... Though that would not be objected to!
..... Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote