Thread: Discus
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2002, 09:47 PM   #26
Jim Sachs
Developer

Several fish skins for the same model -- Possibly with Discus, but there's not really much point. It only takes a few minutes to create a new model. I just load the closest one into Lightwave, morph it a bit, and save a new mesh. It's the texture and UV coordinates that take a whole day.

Having other people do the work -- Just not going to happen. No matter how ironclad a contract seems, people can still tie you up in court for years. Let's say that the most talented and honest person in the world contracts to provide fish textures free of charge with no credits (let's call him, ohhhh.....Morgan). Morgan does the skins, they are wonderful, they get shipped with the product, and it sells a million copies.

80 years later, about the time that Jim Sachs has saved up the $5 million necessary to start his movie, Morgan marries a 25-year-old Playmate and dies that night. The widow finds the old contract and sues Jim for half the money, claiming that Morgan was drunk when he signed it. So much for Jim's movie.

I just don't want any possiblility of legal problems hanging over my head. A friend of mine just finished a legal battle which, though totally groundless, held his company back from making progress for 3 years.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote