View Single Post
Old 02-03-2001, 03:37 PM   #2

I have a hardware question

Reading about v-sync, flashing bios, overclocking, etc, and all the various hardware combinations, I'm clueless. It might as well be written in Japanese for this relative newcomer to the computer world. I'm not quite ready for the "testosterone crowd". : )

I'm running a Gateway G-6 350 PII, with 128MB ram, STB Velocity 128 graphics card. I downloaded the latest drivers, which are over 2 years old. I'm getting between 18-19 fps with 7 fish at 1024x768, at 16 bits. Too much pixelation for my taste at 800x600. 99G, DX8.

I'd love to upgrade my video card. Any advice from the forum would be appreciated. I'm not a gamer. Games don't interest me. Nor do I have time. (with my proximity to the Gulf, a lot of fishing needs to be done) Just thought I'd throw that out. Any upgrade I'd purchase need not be geared toward gaming. Are there cards that are more ornery than others? I need something simple to use. Is there a limit on speed/memory with my older system? What cards are compatible? This STB card is supposed to have TV out, but there is no connector on the back. (??) That would be a nice addition. Anyhoo, thanks for the comeback. I'll take everything anyone has to say into consideration.