Thread: License Issues
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Dale
Banned

License Issues

While purchasing MA3, I actually read the license. I think there are some things that need to be changed:

Issue #1:
I may only:

"(i) use one copy of the Software on a single computer.
(ii) use the Software on a second computer provided that only one copy of the Software is in use at any time."

Now, Jim has said: "You are welcome to run it on all the computers in your house with a single Key Code."

So, that part of the license probably needs to be changed.
=========

(Relatively minor) Issue #2:
I may only:

(iii) make one copy of the Software in machine-readable form for backup (archival) purposes only. You must reproduce on such copy Sach Enterprises, Inc's copyright notice and any other proprietaryt legends that were on the original copy of the Software.

Now, I (and many folks that I know) have various belt-and-suspenders backup methods that make more than one copy. And also, (being picky), I don't know how to write the copywrite notice on most of my backups - particularly those saved on "the cloud". I would guess that the appropriate copyright notice(s) are actually embedded in the software executable (or installer) somewhere.

Anyhow - that restriction looks like some modifications would be helpful.
================

Issue #3:
The license says I may not:
"(iii) use a previous version of the Software after you have received an upgraded revision of the Software as a replacement for the prior version through a promotion offering advantages to upgrade, or transfer or assign such previous version of the Software to another".

I don't wish to argue about the wording. I'm sure that the upgrade version of the software that I received through a promotion offering advantages to upgrade, was not intended as a replacement for the prior version. But I suggest (to keep the lawyers happy) that the policy be made a bit more clear.
===============

(Somewhat picky) Issue #4:
I may not:
"(iv) permit other individuals to use the Software except under the terms listed above."

It's clearly intended to run on the computer, and I believe that the installer installs it so that it can be used by all users of the computer.
=================

Issue #5:
I may not:
"(v) reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form in any manner or through any process."

I read that to say that the "screen captures" and "photographs" that folks have been posting, are prohibited by the license. But perhaps I don't understand what it means.

Either a better (properly restrictive) explanation should be used, or this restriction should be deleted.

======================
Yes, I know that "nobody really reads the license".
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote