View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 10:41 AM   #40
BigScreen
Registered

Re: Upgrade to 2.0

Originally posted by CougRon
Okay. I'm confused. Some months ago I bought 1.0 from CompUSA. I downloaded and installed the 1.1 upgrade with no problem. (I could have sworn I registered or submitted my email address with the ScereneScreen site then, but now I'm not so sure.)

I now want to install version2.0. I've downloaded and run the installer with my CD in the drive but when I run the installed program I see I have an unregistered version. From above messages it appears that I can't use the CD's keycode and I must purchase a new Keycode. Where do I do this and how much is it? I have only seen mention in the program and the site the full product cost of $19.95. Do I have to pay the full cost again? If not, where do I purchase the lower-priced upgrade? How much is this to be? (I found the release announcement message is unclear/borderline-confusing about this.)

Thanks,

P.S. The web site contradictorily says right there at the top. To me this implies that users with ANY previously purchased version can get the upgrade which is contradicted here and buried in the faq on the site. Perhaps a better message should be used. Oh and clicking the link for the upgrade (the only mention of how to upgrade) brings you to a under construction type page.

I think they're still trying to get the facts straight. I did some looking, and there are multiple and contradictory statements being made, depending on where you look.

Forum Message by feldon27 on 03-06-2003 01:37 PM:
MA 2.0 will be a free download/upgrade for all users who purchased the Aquarium at 1.0 or below (Fry's boxed version and all online versions 99L and prior).
Forum Message by feldon27 on 03-08-2003 04:59 AM:
Purchasers of the Aquarium before February 22nd, 2002 (prior to the Lionfish's release) are entitled to a free upgrade to MA2.0.
Forum Message by feldon27 on 03-18-2003 11:21 PM:
All download version purchasers of the Aquarium from .996 through 1.1.2 are entitled to a free upgrade to MA2.0 for the next 90 days. After that time, if you purchased the Aquarium after February 22nd, 2002, the upgrade will be an undetermined amount (probably under $10).

If you purchased the Aquarium at a retail store, the upgrade to MA2 will be an undermined amount (probably under $10).

Forum Message by Reichart on 03-18-2003 11:21 PM:
1. Q: Morgan wrote: All purchasers of the Aquarium from .996 through 1.1.2 are entitled to a free upgrade to MA2.0 for the next 90 days. After that time, if you purchased the Aquarium after February 22nd, 2002, the upgrade will be an undetermined amount (probably under $10).

A: Actually, this only applies to people that bought the download. This is a gift to those people. People that bought the physical product (which is 1.0) are entitled only to the 1.1 upgrade (any special version we made after that for wide, or multiple monitor use).

As of 10:29am CT today, the SereneScreen.com web site says:
If you already own a version previous to 2.0. you can upgrade now for free until June 17th Act now on this limited time offer.

Since it's only one day after the release, I'm willing to sit back and wait for the dust to settle before I express opinions about their upgrade procedure.

I would tend to believe the official web site over statements made in this forum, since the official web site is the public stance of the company to its customers. Forums like these are great for informal discussion, but not for official pronouncements.

I have two cases where purchases of v1.0 were made recently from Amazon, and subsequently upgraded to v1.1 online. From the conflicting reports noted above, I'm not sure what scenario will be in play.

However, the statement on the official web site is the preferred one, and less likely to keep my purchasing advice to a client based on feldon27's (informal) comments from backfiring!

(edited to fix timestamp of Reichart's forum post)
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote