Thread: License Issues
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Dale
Banned

The current installer version (9M software) has a much-improved license, and addresses most of the issues I pointed out earlier. The ones apparently not deemed worth changing were:

Originally posted by Dale:
Issue #3:
The license says I may not:
"(iii) use a previous version of the Software after you have received an upgraded revision of the Software as a replacement for the prior version through a promotion offering advantages to upgrade, or transfer or assign such previous version of the Software to another".

I don't wish to argue about the wording. I'm sure that the upgrade version of the software that I received through a promotion offering advantages to upgrade, was not intended as a replacement for the prior version. But I suggest (to keep the lawyers happy) that the policy be made a bit more clear.
===============  
Apparently, it's OK to run MA2.x even if you've upgraded to MA3

Originally posted by Dale:
Issue #5:
I may not:
"(v) reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form in any manner or through any process."

I read that to say that the "screen captures" and "photographs" that folks have been posting, are prohibited by the license. But perhaps I don't understand what it means.

Either a better (properly restrictive) explanation should be used, or this restriction should be deleted.  
That seems to still read the same way. I suspect it's intended to preclude folks making (and selling) DVDs of MA3 running.

I'd say this issue is closed.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote