View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

A lot of the upgrades have been free, but when a major revision comes along, we have charged $5.95 for the upgrade. Pricing is always a difficult subject, with no real research or examples to follow. I just made up the original price of $19.95 because I figured that most people could afford that. It's the price of dinner, except that it offers years of enjoymant instead of just one evening. When Prolific came on board, we experimented with the price, first raising it to $21.95, then recently lowering it to $14.95. The first adjustment did not result in the loss of any sales, and the second one saw a slight increase. I figured that by lowering v2.6 to $14.95, customers could pay a $5 upgrade to v3.0, and still have only paid the regular price for 3.0.

If you offer free upgrades, will you be working the rest of your life for nothing, or will continued interest in the product drive sales for new generations of customers? If you cut the price in half, will sales double (and double your customer support)? Should all your sales be on-line, or should you offer a hard-copy version in stores? Difficult questions, and with no guidelines, I have to make up the answers as I go along.

Anyway, thanks for your input KevinAr18. I'll add your thoughts into the equation.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote