View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
JohnWho
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Exactly right, Cliff. They are all v10d. When one is ready which is not 10d, announcements will be made. Otherwise, there's no reason for everyone to be clogging up the server, downloading the exact same file they already have. Even on the rare occasion when something might be changed, it wouild be so insiginifcant that if we were to even announce it, you guys would ask, "Why are you bothering us with this stuff?". For example, Edgar might change some obscure piece of code that is not even currently used, but will make it easier to add other things in the future. Or maybe he simply added or subtracted some illegal Key Codes from the Kill List.  
Jim -

I understand the process of coding software somewhat, which is partly why I am puzzled: "... Edgar might change some obscure piece of code that is not even currently used, but will make it easier to add other things in the future. Or maybe he simply added or subtracted some illegal Key Codes from the Kill List." - isn't that exactly why there are different "build" numbers, or versions, etc.?

If, for example, "adding or subtracting some illegal Key Codes from the Kill List" is an important thing to do, don't you want to know which copies of your "beta10d" are floating around with the correct list and which have the old list? Wouldn't something like a "build" number (or maybe a compiled file size?) help with that?

Same with a "...change (to) some obscure piece of code that is not even currently used, but will make it easier to add other things in the future." Wouldn't it help to know that the change from build 1234 to build 1235 was that alteration?

I believe it would be helpful to keep track of these things in some logical way. This way, if someone downloads the "beta10d" and has a problem, you would know that the problem they are having might have been caused, or prevented, by a newer build number.

But, hey, I'm just enjoying the product. As long as your system is working for you, I'm fine out here in "user land".

Curious, but fine.

John
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote