View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
- and I still don't know what use it can possibly be!  
It allows anybody to identify precisely what MarineAquarium3.scr version 10d file that they are using. That ability may or may not be useful to somebody at some time. I identified the difference, and thought it might be useful to somebody in the future - so I decided to post it, rather than keeping the information to myself. In my opinion, that's part of the usefulness of this forum - posting information that somebody might need in the future, so that it can be found, rather than keeping it "secret".

Having decided to post it, I also thought that if I posted it to an existing thread, it might be viewed as trying to contradict Jim's statement that (paraphrasing) all version 10d MarineAquarium3.scr files are the same. I have no information that the two MarineAquarium3.scr files have any functional difference (except for file size) - perhaps the difference is what compiler was used, or whatever. My experience says that there must be some difference in code, but perhaps that's totally immaterial - or perhaps identifying the difference may be important to somebody at some future time.

So, instead of posting it to one of the existing threads (and perhaps making somebody think that I was contradicting Jim), I initially posted it to a new thread. That thread was closed by the moderator, with the comment "There is no need for this separate thread."

Given a closed thread identified as "no need", I believed that the thread would be deleted in the future - so I picked another related thread to post the information.

Bottom line: if the information is accurate, I believe it should be preserved for future reference. If it's not currently useful or interesting, it shouldn't take a response as long as this one, to justify it's existence.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote