View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 04:33 AM   #14
johnblommers
The Architect

Jim forgive us ?

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
Sorry for destroying your thread, Jim.

John,
Know that I would absolutely love a G5 to call my own and envy my sweetie who spend her day at work using one.

I however, must be surfing the web differently ("Surf Different"?) than you do as I don't (knock on wood) spend any time worth mentioning on removing worms, viruses or mal-/pop-up-/adware.
I guess that mean a Mac still is the costlier alternative for me, eh?

[friendly banter]
Good thing you're happy playing Halo on the Radeon 9600XT of the "top-of-the-line G5". Your wife's "OLD gaming PC" has a more powerful 9800Pro card (I'm assuming her newer box has an even more powerful card).
[/friendly banter]

/TT
TT: Believe me I am delighted that you are enjoying your Internet surfing with no headaches! What's your secret? Maybe Microsoft did not need to spend $300Million on developing Service Pack 2.

As for my beloved G5, it was purchased 8 months ago and it's not top of the line any more. It's dual PPC processors clock at a paltry 2Ghz while the top of the line G5 does so at 2.5Ghz.

The stock ATI Radeon 9600 Pro in my G5 is NOT top of the llne either, I admit this freely and hope that Santa will bring me a better video card this Christmas. Perhaps an ATI Radion 9800 Pro Mac Edition with 256Meg VRAM, or perhaps a dual-headed NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Card and a new Apple 30-inch display

BTW I am unable to use the Radion 9800 Pro in the Mac because Macs and PC use a different type of BIOS. the Mac uses Open Firmware. Now I have heard there are flashers out there to change the video card's BIOS from PC to Mac and back again. More research is needed here.

Even so, I can enjoy the Goldfish Aquarium screen saver on my G5 as a desktop background using about 10% of the processors. My blood presure is way lower now

My wife enjoys her ATI Radeon 9800 Pro because I bought if for her :heart: so she'd get really good frame rates when playing EverQuest. You have to support your spouse!

I will not tell you how long it took me to disable the onboard AGP video hardware on the Pavilion to get the ATI 9800 AGP card working It's not as easy to get dual monitors working on the PC as it is on the Mac.
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote