View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #35
kaseki
Registered

My condolences also. I did not notice this thread until today.

The Roku deal is interesting, but it looks like there is still room for a higher resolution version. Having succeeded in getting MA 3.3 to run under Linux Mint using Crossover Linux (I am sure the free Wine will work also, but I haven't tried it), I am in the process of building a home theater PC (HTPC) using higher performance components than the older PC I am typing this on which drives "only" 1920 x 1280 pixels at 60 Hz. (Writes a guy who once upgraded from punch cards to Teletype to a CIT101e display.)

It was the demonstration of MA 3.3 on my present monitor that got my wife gung ho about a new 4K OLED TV so long as it could display MA. At present some critical components for the HTPC are out of stock, but as soon as I can get them and resolve any build issues, I plan to have MA running as a kind of virtual aquarium when called upon to do so. This will entail a more modern GPU driving an HDMI TV interface.

While it is somewhat difficult to extrapolate from the present CPU and GPU to the HTPC's counterpart components, I hope to be able to run a full panoply of fish at 4K and 60 Hz without stressing the system (at least to the level that the rendering test program Unigine Valley would).

Others already running Windows on gaming capable PCs should consider driving their TVs with MA. Unlike Pong, or PacMan, there is no visual obsolescence evident in MA; I expect it can continue to scale as long as the CPUs and GPUs continue to utilize ever more billions of transistors.

kas
kaseki is offline   Reply With Quote