View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
jonazen
Registered

Originally posted by vochore:
try using the extreme 76.45 from guru3d.com,have been using them since they came out and have had no problems,they actualy have differant set ups for particular nvidia cards.

yes i know these are considered beta but they work great  
I've got an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 hooked up to two flat panel monitors (NEC LCD1765's) - normally a great setup, but it doesn't work properly with MA 2 or with MA 2 MD.

I've been a fan of the drivers on Guru3d for some time now. Per your suggestion, I tried downloading and installing the latest, which is actually 76.45b (a bug fix to the original). Unfortunately, I still have the same problem (btw: I went through the whole suggested routine - uninstalling and cleaning out debris from the old drivers, rebooting, installing the new drivers, rebooting, configuring). Specifically:

My monitors are each designed to operate at 1280 x 1024, so I have my spanned desktop set to operate at 2560 x 1024. As mentioned above, this works beautifully - until now with MA2 (and MA2 MD). Regardless of the settings I plug into MA2 regarding resolution (either default system resolution or explicitly setting 2560 x 1024 x 32), when I try previewing the screen saver, it always reverts back to 2048 x 768. Among other things, this causes problems because 1) it doesn't look as good onscreen as it should, and 2) my monitors have this annoying habit of displaying a configuration message warning me that (since they're LCD displays) the resolution should be set properly (to 1024 x 768 for each monitor).

Also: a BIG WARNING to anyone trying these drivers: I turned off my antivirus monitoring during the installation, as generally recommended for low level stuff like this - but turned it back on immediately afterward, and scanned the files installed by the Xtreme drivers - and this is what I saw:

"5/21/2005 17:56:50 PM - AMON - File system monitor Program Virus Alert triggered on ZENMASTER: C:\Program Files\XTreme-G Drivers\uninst.exe infected with Win32/Adware.LinkMaker application."

Not something I like to see!

Anyway - I deleted the infected uninstall pgm, so that's not a worry.

But I WOULD like to figure out why MA2 (and MA2 MD) cannot properly display in 2560 x 1024 on my machine.

Any ideas?

BTW - I'm editing this to add some more info and save some questions:
- I initially installed MA2 from a CD I purchased today
- Then downloaded and installed MA2 MD from the website
- Then thought that perhaps MA2 MD and MA2 might somehow conflict, so I uninstalled MA2, and left MA2 MD on the machine.
- MA2 MD is version 2.01
- I've tried this in both 16-bit and 32-bit mode
- I've tried checking the Widescreen option - it makes NO difference, even if I play with various Anamorphic factors.

Also:
- Win/XP Pro SP2, all updates applied
- Phoenix Award BIOS v6.00PG
- This is a 1.9 ghz Athlon machine with 1 gb RAM and loads of HD space.
- The video card is an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 with 128 MB RAM, current drivers and current BIOS
- The card is opeating in AGP 8X mode
- I'm running DirectX version 9.0C (4.09.0000.0904)

Am I missing something ?

Thx,
Jon
jonazen is offline   Reply With Quote