Thread: WHEN ?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 11:16 AM   #28
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Originally posted by Jim Sachs

Yes, I might sell a few more copies if I allowed the user to create their own objects. But this would not improve the Aquarium, it would ultimately hurt it and damage my credibility....It is obvious that within hours of the time I made the fish format public, people would create ridiculous/obscene creatures, distribute them on the Internet, and my Aquarium would become associated with such things. I will do everything I can to prevent that.
I appreciate your taking the time to respond, which was something I did not expect. And I admire the things you're doing, and your reasons for doing them.

I still have trouble with your statement that giving the user more creative freedom "would not improve the Aquarium." It seems to ignore the "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder" element to this kind of program, and presuppose one person's opinion (admittedly the creator's, which does give it a certain weight) as the absolute objective standard for what is the most attractive or pleasing. It is likely that for some people, an Aquarium customized beyond what you've provided for could give them "the most possible enjoyment."

In addition, I think the idea that "the Aquarium" would not be improved is misleading because it would no longer be a "the Aquarium". It would in effect make a limitless number of Aquariums, as many as anyone wanted to create. Many of these would certainly be in yours and many others' views pretty trashy. But I think there would also be a great many high-quality innovations, from intelligent people with respect for the Aquarium and making it better. Some of these you yourself might even feel are improvements on what you've done.

But I understand if you feel that the good that would come of that is outweighed by the huge potential bad that would come with it, as Morgan mentioned. I realize that it's easy for me to sit here and make such comments, when I didn't put in the massive amount of time and effort to get the Aquarium where it is. If I had, maybe I would feel the same way you do about "protecting" what I had worked so hard on.

So I guess I'll just shut up and be patient and accepting like everyone else (not that I have much choice)

Thanks again Jim, for your work and for your willingness to explain yourself on this forum.

p.s. The name of the Lone Ranger's sidekick, Tonto, means "stupid" in Spanish.
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote