View Single Post
Old 06-09-2001, 07:50 AM   #17

RE: Random Fish Replacement

If this scheme is every implemented, I can see some one proposing to cycle only certain fish (some fish may be thought of as ugly).

It seems to me that this whole subject was brought on by the fact that there are getting to be so many great looking fish that we want to see them come on the screen at some point without having to change the settings. Is there some other way of cycling fish?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm no programmer. Jim indicated that the reason for windowing when changing fish was because of video RAM fragmentation when changing fish... Since the program is less than one meg, I'm thinking that the memory consumed by each fish is small (50K?).

Why not just load every fish into video ram?

I hate to extend this subject any further. I'm sure Jim is eager to wrap up this project and move on to the next. There will always be cool items to be added, just look at the wish list, but I think at some point you need to stop development and produce.

I think Jim has been very patient and understanding with requests and has even implemented additional features before completing version 1 (DX . I will always take the additional features, but the simple screensaver that he started with is evolving closer into an application. There are already numerous people launching it as an executable instead of just a screensaver. I think the point of support is valid.