View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 11:52 PM   #26
Unregistered-Paul Pollock

Big Grin Trouble Report

Hello,

I have not posted till now as I wanted to be sure of the stuff that needed to be reported.
System I am running is a iMac/400dvse (256MB RAM/8MB VRAM/13GB HD/MacOS X 10.1.5/all standard updates installed). I am a Macintosh Technician.

Troubles to report:
1). Sound
Bubbles sound discontinues after about 5-7 seconds. Can be restarted by toggling "S" twice. Still times out. Is this because program is unregistered<grin>?

2). Finder
Finder cobbles up in the display of windows, specifically the Aquarium Window (and others, while Aquarium is running). Mainly the activity hilight of the menubar of the window gets dimmed, brightens if you click&hold on the menubar of windw, but it dims again as soon as you unclick. Finder is restored to normal by terminating Aquarium and opening any Finder Window. This is intermittant, doesn't always occur.

Suggestions:
1). Automatic Lighting mode is a waste of time. I don't need or use it. Would much rather have a clock based lighting system as has been suggested by others, and would not be difficult to program. Or nothing at all. Can't see the fish? Quit the program!

2). System performance
There is a menubar utility that monitors CPU activity in percent, called Cee-Pee-You. Flat out, with standard window Aquarium can do 70fps at 100% CPU activity, at full screen this falls to 24fps. Faster processors and video interfaces can do better. Point is, these specs are irrelevant. Frames/sec option should be removed and program needs to produce the maximum number of FPS at not more than 30% CPU activity for the Aquarium task. That will provide a safe margin of CPU resources for other tasks. After all, the Aquarium should be an accessory while doing other things, more useless waste of CPU provides one with a $1500 video display and nothing else useful<grin>. Common sense should prevail!

The previous being said, I plan to delete the Demo of Aquarium until this thing is better thought out, and bugs squashed.

-Paul B. Pollock <pbell3@mindspring.com>