View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #90
feldon34
Forum Administrator

re: Tiny's comments on the smilies...

It's certainly your opinion to have that most of the smilies we've added are useless. I am not taking your comments personally. But I do think that each smiley was added because it is quite popular on other forums. Maybe it is an cultural division but all of these have, in my opinion, many uses.

This is a PERFECT smiley for contracts, lawyers, getting screwed by companies, anything involving Microsoft, etc.

I can't use this? *sniff*

Obviously this smiley does not work so well on a dark background. It could be brightened.

Looks like a Beret to me. I figure he's French and/or an artist. Maybe if he had an upturned nose?

I'll fix this one. Could potentially be useful here on this forum in reference to people who pirate the Aquarium.

Whenever something we are hoping for gets dashed, or we're describing how something in our lives has gone badly, I know "down the tubes" is the first thing I think of. I use this one at least a dozen times a month on the DVDFile forum in reference to some of the studio decisions on what to put on a DVD (a commentary with Arnold Schwartzenburger? what does he know about the movie Total Recall?) and omitting other more important stuff (book to movie comparisons and all the hoopla about how violent the film was?).

Please tell me you're kidding, right? With as many arguments as we have here?

There's drooling and then there's drooling. This is how I look when pondering the next version of the Aquarium and/or a hot date.

Aren't all smilies by definition tacky? If you do not want to view smilies, I believe their display can be disabled. Although I haven't used the cheers one myself, it's used most often when there is some kind of discussion that turns away from the path and then comes back and both people reach an understanding. This is the ideal smily for that IMO.

I thought it was beer. Never drank Guiness?

To me it would be better if all smilies were the same gradient yellow as this guy
Respecfully, smilies add color to a topic. The yellow smilies are kinda boring.

from cjmaddy:

I think we'll put this one. That seems to be the most tamely animated one I've seen.

Jav400 asked:

Since everyone seems to be using/likeing smilies in general, I have found a way to have the smilies show up in the quick reply box ( I think ). I am wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good addition. The quick box is useful, but if you haven't memorized the code for the smilie that you want you have to go the post reply page anyway.
Is there any way to add this without turning the Quick Reply box from this:

into this:

?

It's not so much a "quick reply" box when it is loading/animating 30 smilies.

What do you think about a small "Smilies Help" link and while we're at it, "How do I post a link?" and "How do I link to a picture?".

/Tiny Smilies
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-18-2003 at 09:18 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote