View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ghosting is caused mostly by the monitor, specifically the "kill rate" of the pixels. A cheap monitor will have a slow kill rate, meaning that the pixels forming a fish will not be completely finished losing their glow in the 1/60 of a second it takes for the glasses to switch from one eye to the other. The glasses themselves can also contribute to this if they don't completely block the image for the "wrong eye".

It's easy to see which objects will suffer from ghosting - just look at the screen without the glasses. The farther apart the two copies of an object are, and the higher contrast the background is behind them, the more ghosting you'll see when you put on the glasses.

The distant background is usually "ground zero", meaning that the two images are offset very little. When viewed without the glasses, this part will remain fairly clear - hence no ghosting. The early 3D glasses had much more versatile controls built into the drivers than any of the current ones seem to. From the keyboard, you could adjust not only the depth, but the position of Ground Zero. I always set this to be the gravel at the front of the tank, which made the monitor look like a real aquarium with the gravel right up against the glass.

The others are right, I have no control over ghosting. All I can recommend is setting the background colors to something fairly neutral, as a dark background makes ghosting worse because of the high contrast with the fish.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote