View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 07:02 PM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The answer is nothing major.

As much as it might cause gastric distress to our forum members, the Marine Aquarium is not the focus right now.

Prolific's contributions to the Marine Aquarium, namely:
  • Crystal Aquarium
  • Marine Aquarium Time
  • Unified Codebase allowing Regular, Widescreen, Dual Monitor, Crystal, Time, German, Japanese, etc. Aquariums to be supported without duplication of efforts.
  • A complex (perhaps a bit overwhelming) new development platform allowing realistic physics, collision avoidance, individual fish behaviors, etc.
  • An artistic and development partnership with Jim to help the Aquarium and other products move forward as quickly as is humanly possible without sacrificing quality. Jim has approval on all changes Prolific makes to the Aquarium.

are what should accelerate things this year. There is no question that 2002 was the doldrums for the Aquarium, but that was not idle time.

Regardless of all the booing and hissing Prolific might get here, the corporate involvement is really helping Jim accomplish his goals which are (contrary to popular belief) not to create the best damned Aquarium around but to invest in the production a future CGI film.

Jim proved that the best approach to a realistic Aquarium was not to program it to death and then let the art be an afterthought, but to create the art and then try to create an Aquarium with intuition instead of long division.

Now Prolific has taken what Jim created and, without losing anything, added complex programming to it which resolves issues people have been concerned about for a long time.

I think some people are going to have to eat their words when the Goldfish Aquarium comes out. Already, Prolific's Flag-themed screen saver is surprisingly realistic.

I hate to keep adding these bits of info at the tail-end of different topics. And I'm sure you guys hate having to read every topic thoroughly to figure out what's going on. The forthcoming News/Updates system will resolve this. Every new bit of info about the Aquarium and other products will be in one cohesive place again.

There will hopefully be more info about Marine Aquarium 2 in the next few days. I've been told to expect more than just "new code" and "a new Queen Angel".
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 03-03-2003 at 07:13 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote