View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 10:34 PM   #57
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Dale - you have a good point, and Prolific will continue to search for the answer. They are well aware of deficiencies in various video drivers, and all of their products already contain many work-arounds for these.

This would seem like an especially hard one to track down, though. I can't imagine how you would write code to even INTENTIONALLY do what seems to be happening here. When the program exits, it simply dies and returns control back to the operating system. It has no idea what other programs are running or any way of sending them a CLOSE message.  
Interesting. I have no knowledge of the internals, but would have thought that the program would try to do some cleanup before it "simply dies". For instance, maybe change the resolution and 16/32 bit setting back to what it was before the program ran.

Now, for example, if the program issues asynchronous commands to the system/drivers, and then "simply dies", it would be up to some other program to try to "handle" something unexpected, like a changing resolution.

[By the way, I mention the above example because these particular products are unusual in the screensaver space - they provide options for changing resolution and 16/32 bit setting, for instance, that are not common in other screensavers. And the "feeling" is that this problem is related to video, rather than some other aspect like "power settings"]

That's all just speculation on my part, of course - I have no idea what the program does when I move my mouse. Nor how that differs from what the program does when I press Escape. But the latter action is reported to never cause the problem. And obviously, different device interrupts are involved.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote