View Single Post
Old 03-20-2001, 08:31 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: re: Frame rate puzzle

Shinsa,

This is an EXTREMELY common falsity about the human eye and your brain's ability to see motion. It rather infuriates me whenever I see it.

The human eye CAN perceive motion with as few as 15 still images or frames per second. This does not mean that your eye cannot see the noticable improvement in 24 (film), 25 (European TV), 30 (North American/Japanese TV), 45 (IMAX films), 60 (flourescent light bulbs and default computer monitor refresh), 75 or beyond.

Most people can see a markable improvement all the way up to 60 frames per second. And as far as 'refresh', film double-clicks every frame, so when you watch a movie in a theater, it is really 48 frames per second, with each frame doubled. And a computer monitor adjusted from 60 Hz to 75 Hz, 85 Hz, or beyond will greatly reduce incedance (sp?) of headaches (I can tell a big difference, it looks super sharp and no flicker at all, where 60 Hz refresh I can see the difference).

20-25 fps looks good for the fish, but jump to 42 fps and I can tell you it starts to look real, and you suddenly miss the extra framerate when you see the 20-25. I get 42fps at home and get 24fps at my dad's place.

Sorry for the rant, but I want people to know, despite this hugely popular myth that "humans can only see 24fps", developers wouldn't be wasting their time trying to get higher framerates if it didn't matter. Developing software costs money. If it didn't give any benefit, they'd move on to other things besides trying to go beyond 24fps.

Another thing you really notice is DROPS in framerate. A game is better if it keeps 30fps solid the whole time than if it runs at 60fps and drops to 25-30 on complex scenes.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote