View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 07:20 AM   #91
Reichart
CTO Prolific Publishing

Change

Originally posted by top_Cat
Thanks for the update, I thought it probably would be but I think that they are missing out in the long term. Allowing users to create content will make there product more desirable AND people do it for FREE!
That is one view. Having been in this for the “long term,” and being the best selling screen art program in the world, I would like to humbly go on the record as disagreeing with you. I’m truly not trying to be cocky; but here is the cool thing, there “are” product that let you do this (modify the tanks). Find one, and improve it, and you have the best of both worlds.

I had a funny conversation (in reverse once) with a friend of mine, who created a video game called Command & Conquer. He had told me that he was heavily influenced by a game I had designed years before called Return Fire. At that point they had already sold about 3.5 million units. And he says “I wish I had made it even more like RF, we gave the game to many features. I said, “But you have already sold the most of any game in history in its genre.” But he was still not satisfied. They went on to double their sales after simplifying the product (and then sold themselves to EA). They did this by making their next version simpler.

I tend to believe in keeping things simple, and tightly controlling things. But I believe the opposite for utilities and productivity products. This on the other hand is entertainment.
Reichart... , CTO, Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Come visit us Prolific Publishing, Inc.
Reichart is offline   Reply With Quote