View Single Post
Old 07-17-2001, 11:55 AM   #337
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

Awe ratz, don't you hate it when you come up with a pretty cool idea, but know that it's way beyond too late? I wish I had thought of this much earlier on, oh well.

Anyway, I think it would have been pretty interesting if Jim had created a circular tank with a centrally located reef. That way the 3D background/reef and panning camera motion could be tied in and you could have the camera spin around the tank clockwise or counterclockwise instead of just left to right and back again. Don't get me wrong though Jim, we're lucky we're getting the panning motion as it is, but as an alternate method for displaying the tank I think this "circular" idea would have been a neat twist (no pun intended).

Update:

Jim,

I know that one of your chief concerns with regards to the 3D aquarium background is exposure. You don't want any of the non-textured or modeled areas of the 3D background to be visible to the users which is why you've decided not to go with my earlier idea of multiple camera angles (understandable). However, with a circular design you wouldn't have to worry about that since you would need to model the 3D elements in full and therefore you would be able to include the option for multiple camera angels throughout the environments.

I know this idea isn't without it's downsides though and I'm sure you'll point these out. One of which is likely to be hardware. The more 3D there is, the more the chances are that it would require users to have better hardware in order to display it. I'm sure this could be worked around in some fashion though.

Anyway, perhaps this idea could be used in the creation of your upcoming screensavers (aviary, butterfly garden, and terrarium), or perhaps not? It's all a matter of what's realistic in your eyes Jim and what you feel is possible. I still think it's worth considering though...

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote