View Single Post
Old 07-03-2001, 11:54 AM   #322
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Coelacanth

"I still want to see footage of one actually swimming."

Video of living Coelacanths is VERY difficult to come by because those who have it know it's true worth and keep it closely guarded. Although, from what I understand, that might change some time in the near future hopefully.

Fortunately, I managed to acquire video of an underwater expedition which actually shows living Coelacanths in their native surroundings. To say the least, it's an amazing thing to behold. To actually see this prehistoric fish alive and swimming in our oceans today is unlike anything else you've ever seen. Unfortunately it's video and not actual photos which is what Jim needs.

"They're way too big for an aquarium anyway, and who knows what a juvenile looks like, so I figure thumbs down on that idea.)"

Yes, I am aware of that. After all, I'm the one who had the Coelacanth put on the Wishlist in the first place. I already knew that there was an extremely high chance that Jim wouldn't do it because it "might" prove to be too difficult. The types of images Jim would need are virtually impossible to come by, so even though I've always had high hopes, I've been equally prepared to accept the fact that it just might end up being a pipe dream for the aquarium. That's why it's called the "Wishlist", Jim is the genie and he only has so many wishes he can fulfill.

- DL

P.S.
I forgot to mention, I do actually have an image of a juvenile in one of my books. The down side is it's dead and was stuffed by a taxidermist and dead fish (especially dried up fish) don't always look the same as they did alive.

Anyway, it was pulled from the belly of a large pregnant female that died before it could give birth. From what I can remember though, it looked like there was little to no difference between the juvenile and the adult. I would post the image now, but I'm at work and don't have the book on hand.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote