View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #137
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Yes, same species, but not him. My avatar is one as well. That video was just one I found on you tube that showed I guess what you would call the "attitude" of the Zebra Moray's. They generally don't like bright light as they don't see well, but have a well developed sense of smell. Alot of people will hand feed them, I did mine after awhile, but it can be slightly dangerous because they strike more at smell than sight. Zebra's don't have teeth per-se as do other Moray species, but it felt like I had slammed my thumb in a car door the one time he got it by mistake. Not to mention I had to stand there while he made up his mind to let go instead of slinging him across the room as instinct called for.

The opening and closing of the mouth movement is as much for "smelling the water" as it is for breathing if I remember correctly.

As for an actual photo of Harvey, the only one I have was used on the creatures wishlist page down at the bottom. This was many many years ago when I had my aquarium running. As to the color of zebra's; generally they are a reddish/maroon brown color depending on how the light hits them during movement.

They are fairly common for home aquarium's as they are generally considered a "hardy" species. Finding one in a local aquarium store for some high res shots should be fairly simple.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote