View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #71
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by spetro:
Canned advertisement to me means "free aggressive" advertisement. For example, lets just say a new member of this forum posts a link in any or several of the boards here. That link then has software programs in it for sale. Just by coincidence there is an aquarium program that is the websites center piece. I would find that offensive to me and would border on spam. I would never buy from such a group.

Real advertisement would be just that....paid for banner or ad that would help inform members of a certain forum. By paying for an ad that company is supporting the forum that the members belong to. So in reality all three parties win! The forum, the advertiser, and the members.

As for twitter and the like, I see a lot of companies going in that direction. Guess because its free and effective. Don't really go to those sites very much, so I don't want to voice an opinion either way. Hope this clears up what I was intending to point out the first time.  
OK, I understand. Mostly (I think) the difference between free-and-mostly-unwanted, and paid-forum-supporting.

How would you view an advertisement (for instance for MA3) that would only come the few people in a large social forum, who had mentioned that they have an aquarium and are really interested in PCs and are "stressed out"?

Assume that a company pays the social forum for each time the ad is sent to somebody, thus supporting the social forum - and incenting the company to closely limit the people it's sent to
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote