View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #16
ROBinLA
Registered

Actually, a detailed experiment was performed by the special effects wizard Douglas Trumbull (2001 a space odyssey among others). He did detailed experiments to ascertain that the human eye actually perceives images at a rate of approximately 60 fps, (actually it was like 60.15 or 61.15 or something like that.)

Anyway, he created a motion picture camera technology called SHOWSCAN which sole purpose was to create films that could be displayed at the same rate as the human eye could perceive them...and hence create a "film experience" where when you looked at the screen it would look as if you could walk into the screen with an incredible illusion of depth.

He pioneered this work about 15 years ago or so and has since used it in special cameras to create theme park attractions similar to the "Star Tours" motion simulator film etc.(at the Disney parks), except he uses high definition film shot with 70mm film stock and projected at the exact fps (60-61fps) that his experiments showed the eye worked at.

He has since gone on to be one of the heads of IMAX and they use his SHOWSCAN technology there. I believe Reichert if you call up the company...they're located in Los Angeles, they actually give tours of some of their facilities and explain the technology behind it. You might be able to find it on the web also.

The point being that according to Douglas Trumbull the human eye can perceive differences in moving images up to around the 60fps point. Now that is not to say you can't have a convincing moving image with less. We all know you can...hence the 24fps of motion pictures and the approx 30fps of video.

I actually spent some time at Showscan during my time as a student at the USC Film school and saw a few films shot with the SHOWSCAN. It was really impressive...actually one of the scenes shot was an underwater scene where it looked like you could dive "into" the screen and be underwater. The illusion is stunning and you have absolutely no "flat" or 2d appearance like with traditional 35mm 24fps film projection. In a nutshell you don't feel like you're looking at something being projected at a screen. Instead the screen looks as if you can walk right into it.

To show how impressive it is...when I went for my first demonstration of the technology we sat in this room and Mr. Trumbull walked out on stage and spoke to us for a few minutes and demonstrated some of the technology and then we were all shocked when the "real" Mr. Trumbull walked up behind us...the one in front of us was PROJECTED and we were totally fooled...that's how good it is.

Rob
ROBinLA is offline   Reply With Quote