View Single Post
Old 04-27-2002, 11:07 AM   #15
T.F.
Registered

Some Input

As expected installing the patch from MS mentioned above didn't help to solve this issue on my WinXp machine, either. The file list above indicates pretty obviously that Microsoft also made changes to their Direct3D screensavers, and *not* just to some dlls. Using D3d8.dll and Ddraw.dll from Win2k in WinXP didn't help any, either .. (you wrote Aquarium.scr with DX 6 code, so the D3d8.dll shouldn't have any effect, anyway).

Since we have no idea at all how long it will take MS to publish a hotfix for this power saving issue: wouldn't it be smart to *include* power saving options (monitor sleep, standbye, hibernate) right into the screensaver ? 'Cause right now Aquarium.scr adds to energy waste on many XP machines, which kinda - well - "sucks" .. .

I did a little bit of research on the web and found some interesting information and code about windows power saving, most of it in C++, so here are some links: 1 2 3 4 (edit: MS seems to have some problems right now with their server(s) - some patience might be required .. )

Also I found two programs which already make use of windows' power saving functions, here are the links to the author's websites: Instant Sleep (make your monitor sleep with one click), and Andrej Budja Shutdown.exe (computer stand-by and/ or hibernate via command line)
Maybe they are willing to share their knowledge, one way or the other?

Apart from that I just messed a bit in Visual Basic 6 and made an attempt to write a loader which loads both the screensaver AND and external power savings program like shutdown.exe - feel free to download and also edit it [esp. any VB coders more capable than me .. ]. I versioned it .8 beta because it does not really fullfill its purpose all the way, at least on my machine. You'll see once you test it:
Aquarium Loader .08 beta.zip (30 kb, compilation, install-routine + source code) .
(C++ would be the way to go, but I do not feel like getting into that right now :-\ )
T.F. is offline   Reply With Quote