View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #278
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by jimkraz:
Dale, does the average person look through "read me", I know it's a rare thing for me to do so, and I don't know of anyone who makes a beeline to the read me, it's there, every game or bit of software I install, I click next, without reading, I'm sure the PC software police are not going to come knocking on my door if I don't, I have severe heart problems, so I hope I will not be carted off.  
I agree, the average person does not look through the "readme". (nor does the average person read the license, etc.).

However, my point was that the only way to know that the readme file exists, with MA3, is to go searching around through program files to find it.

That would be OK if the readme file didn't contain anything useful. [And in that case, why provide it at all] - so I would be saying that they should just save the 12 KB of download bandwidth, and not do it at all.

In other words, reasonable alternatives would be (1) make it reasonably easy to find; or (2) don't bother providing it.

But in this case, the readme file contains things like:

I. System Requirements
II. Troubleshooting
III. Licensing
1. Is there a site License available for my company?
2. Do you offer the product on floppies for distribution, or may we distribute the shareware demo version, without charge, to our customers so they can register the full version at a later date?
3. Can I get a custom version of Marine Aquarium, with my logo in the background, or on the fish?

IV. Customizing Your Marine Aquarium's Crystal
V. Marine Aquarium Hotkeys
VI. Program Settings
VII. Display Settings
VIII. Music Playlist

Part of this looks like the "help" file for settings. Part is supplemental information for potential corporate purchasers, and for "big box stores" wishing to use it for demonstrations.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote