View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #186
Dale
Banned

Perhaps we can get back to the "INSTALLER test" topic.

There are at least two conditions that will prevent MA3 from running, and in my opinion the Installer should prevent MA3 from being inadvertantly installed when it then would not run.

A. MA3 requires DirectX 9.0c. The installer now provides a warning, and a link to Microsoft. However, many folks will just click on through that. The installer should, in my opinion, do the following:

1. CHECK to see if DirectX 9.0c is present (that's a rather easy check, based on file versions).

2. If DirectX 9.0c is not present, offer (by default) to install it. That's also rather easy to do by including the redistributable 9.0c kit with the installation package. The installation could be done by permission ("Do you want us to install this for you"), or the installer could mandate it ("Choose Install or Cancel MA3 Installation").
================

B. MA3 requires a "compatible Direct3D Device". Jim has available a test for that condition that appears to be diagnostic. The installer should, in my opinion, do the following:

1. CHECK to see if there is a compatible Direct3D Device using Jim's code.

2. If the test fails, tell the user and ask if installation should proceed - clearly warning that MA3 probably won't run until that situation is corrected.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote