View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #31
simico
Registered

Thanks for the correction Jim! - Just to clarify, the large mushroom like corals next to the new green one is Rhodactis mussoides - Elephant Ear Mushroom Coral. (My previous best guess was Sarkofytun, common name leather coral). It really is very hard to ID these corals 100% without physically having it in front of you, as visually many are so similar. Also latin names have to be used when labeling IDs', as common names, overlap multiple corals, and mean different things to different people, so this could get confusing!

I'm not going to hazard a guess at the new one, (as I have to admit), I wouldn't have guessed it as a leather coral as a contender for my best guess! Again, the form of corals can depend on enviromental factors. i.e. Current strength can cause identical corals to either grow in a branching formation, or in a boulder formation, or flattened out. Obviously lighting conditions, light intensity, the lights colour temperature, duration, etc. also affect growth, but also colour. Corals colour is also altered, (sometimes dramatically), by water conditions (e.g. polutants) and trace element parameters.
simico is offline   Reply With Quote