Thread: Dual Monitors
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 01:11 AM   #70
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Originally posted by feldon28
Black is still elusive on LCDs. People get so excited about the brightness level of LCDs (probably just regurgitating marketing hype) but pay little attention to black which is actually grey.
I'm totally agree with Morgan, black is still elusive on LCDs, it can be easily to find out, find a way to make the LCD screen showing all black, then turn off the power of LCD and turn on again, you'll definetly see the difference, although my LCD's black is elusive but not as worse as showing grey, but only by turning off the power would show the pure black. I think people pay little attention to black is because how the human eyes work, the retina of the human eyes can be easily tricked by the colour contrast, the cones are sensitive with colours in the fovea but not good at distinguish the level of light's brightness. so the rods in retina coem in to play, rods can neither distinguish colours nor see fine detail, but they are sensitive to the brightness of the light. Too bad that the function of rods get overwhelmed when there're too many colours in vision. That's why we see those grey-black as pure black when we see it with other colours.
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote