Thread: Feature Request Ubuntu (or Linux) version
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 05:09 AM   #34
IanD
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I'm impressed by your perseverance in getting it to work on Linux.  
MA is such a remarkable and beautiful artwork, I was compelled to find a way to display it, once I no longer had Windows machines. However I followed the work of others on this forum and elsewhere to get MA operational under Linux but did not develop anything myself.
Sales of all versions are nil, so there's no way a special Linux version would be created.
That's so sad you are no longer able to receive income from your original creation. Do you think transitioning to a donation format might be useful? If I hadn't already purchased your Windows version, I would have donated as I found your creation so amazing and I am sure there would be many others. Would crowd-funding of a special Linux version be a possibility? Do your techniques lend themselves to the creation of other dynamic artworks? It would be a shame for the principle to end with MA, especially in an era of pandemic awareness, where greater isolation at home begs for solutions to bring the world and forms of entertainment to the home in a virtual sense. Maybe something like flowers blooming in a garden over time but changing dynamically. I have dabbled with creating a video of a pan of a static photo with some background sound, to give it a bit of life and make it more interesting as I doubt I will ever see the object of that photo in real life, however that was an extremely basic thing and not dynamic and ever evolving like MA.
I wrote and embedded the music in the Windows version, using Direct Music, as you say. I don't think the music routines ever made it to the translations.
Thanks for that clarification: I have not seen any mention of background music in the Android version of MA, only the bubble column sound.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote