View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #912
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Before I ask you guys to take it outside, I'll just say a few words.
Sure, the Mac is a fine machine with many innovative features, most of which they stole from the Amiga. And, like the Amiga, it's a niche market that will never take over the world. As an Amiga developer, I've been down that road, and won't be doing it again. I knew Jay Miner and all the Amiga team, and thought that the world could not possibly ignore this wave of the furure. I invested all my money in Commodore stock and created the interfaces and startup graphics and music for their CDTV and CD32 machines. Well, they were wiped out by the tidal wave of Microsoft, and I went down with the ship. So, I learned to swim in their ocean and never looked back. Yes, I have a Mac product on the market, but it only accounts for a tiny fraction of the Aquarium sales.

As long as Jim O'Connor is willing to put in Herculean efforts to do Mac conversions, I'll continue to have a Mac version on the market. Here's something you may not know: We had to create a special "Mac-look" box for the Apple stores. The normal product has both the Mac and PC versions on the CD, but the one for the Mac box had only the Mac version. Yet, it was the same price as regular version. Mac people do not even want those PC bytes on their disk. Now THAT's fanatacism.  
Jim thanks so much for sharing some of your history with the Amiga. I'm kind of glad that Tiny Turtle and I got into it a little bit now

As you know, I'm a fan of the SereneScreen Marine Aquarium - Mac Version - and I would not be here on these forums if it were not for the Mac version. It is the first screen saver I ever actually paid for and it is worth it.

Let me say that I have enjoyed every exchange with the people on this forum. Everybody here is first class! Sure there have been times when points of view did not align, but I find that I learn more that way. Frankly I enjoy a bit of banter once in a while. I just hope that nobody thinks that TinyTurtle and I actually hate each other. Not a chance! I enjoy our back and forth pokes but it's never with malice.

So let me hoist the traditional glass of Andorian Ale to you Jim Sachs, and to the excellent Jim O'Connor as well!

K'plagh!

PS, the tale about the Apple packaging for MA rings true to Steve Jobs form. But I think that if there is a single Mac/PC CDROM that is value add for the customer. For example you may be familiar with X-Plane. The main developer is Austin Meyer, and he develops on the Mac and leverages OpenGL for the 3D graphics. However, X-Plane comes in Mac, PC, and Linux on the same DVD. Damn but that is too cool!

PPS, Have you ever considered licensing the Unreal engine for your aquariums?
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote