View Single Post
Old 03-08-2002, 11:08 AM   #12
Jim Sachs
Developer

The suggestion of an animation on the Web site is a good one, and we have been looking into it for a long time. The main problem is that the animation quality would be so low compared to the real Aquarium, I'm afraid people would think that's how the real thing would run. If HTML/Java/Flash/Whatever were powerful enough to do this kind of program, then I would have used those easy languages instead of C++/Direct3D.

There's a fine line between showing people what they will get, and giving too much away. Most people in the industry believe that I am already giving away far too much with the 3-fish demo. There are several million people who are completely happy just having to type "TESTFISH", and never pay anything.

As has been mentioned before, the problem with a timer is that it's so easy for hackers to defeat. Also, I think I would be a little disappointed if I paid for a program, and the only difference was that the timer got removed. I'm happier when I see new things after registering.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote