Thread: Frozen Aquarium
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 10:58 AM   #11
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

BobL

Millions of colors is a significantly higher work load for the video card. iBooks, until recently, didn't have the best of video cards. Not to feel bad, the first TiBooks had really weak video cards. What sort of frame rates do you see? If they are in the single digits then turn on the "economize video memory" setting. I doubt that is the case. It is likely that the bottle neck is the video cards throughput, not its memory, therefore there isn't any thing that will make a drastic difference. However, you are on the cusp -- any work load reduction for the card may be enough to get you smooth animation. Reducing the number of fish, turning off the bubbles, may help. Limiting the frame rate to 30 fps may help. Turning off the sound sometimes helps if the machien is CPU limited. Reducing the shimmer setting is purely CPU load reducing, but it may help and most people can't tell the difference between the various settings until it is pointed out to them.

On the other topic, I am unable to repro the freeze so far, but I will give it more time.

Jim O'Connor
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote