View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by JohnWho:
... On the other hand, from the screen saver perspective, I've not seen too many screen savers that have "F1" key help capability.  
You haven't seen too many screen savers that have 19 keyboard shortcuts, either.

But Marine Aquarium 3 isn't a "screen saver". It's a simulation of a marine aquarium.

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I would really dread coding all those pages of instructions into the program, and dealing with all the translations.  
Help files are "NEVER" coded into a program. (..never say never...). The rational strategy is to "link" to a file. Lots of ways to do that - flat file, HTML, .hlp file (WinHlp), etc. So, you wouldn't be coding anything (except a "link").

Jim, I'm presuming that somebody else translates the readme.txt file (or doesn't translate it, if the I18N versions ship with English readme). In any case, translating wouldn't be your task, either.

As Rick pointed out, just "displaying" the existing readme.txt file should do the job.

Or, if SereneScreen want's to centrally maintain the help (so that it can be easily updated between releases, etc.), then the same mechanism as the "Visit Web Site" button would work nicely.

...or several other ways would work.

But if there's a good technical reason for F1 being "Next Background color", then just chalk this up as another "wild hair".
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote