Thread: Driver Issue Translucent Fish
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
markknight
Prolific Team

ATI, general

My laptop is a HP / Compaq nc8430. It has an ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256mg card.
I had some errors with MA 3 so I deleted all ATI drivers and "uninstalled" the video card.
Attempting to load the drivers from ATI failed. (Diver dated Oct 15 2008 version 8.10) ATI gives the user a compatibility checker rather than the drivers initially. In my case it immediately informed me that I could not continue and directed me to HP for their version of the ATI drivers.
HP had the drivers and they loaded fine. Release date on theirs was Oct 5 2007 and version 8.45

The interesting part is MS Critical Updates.
Just before I began having problems I performed the update and included optional hardware updates. This was absolutely the problem in my case.
MS provides an update created by ATI that will load on an HP however, the patch date is March 2007 yet there is no indication or documentation what the thing is supposed to do or fix.

I have now run the routine three times tonight.
From ATI, they send you to HP
HP, loads and everything runs fine.
Load that patch from MS: MA3 has an immediate critical failure if left at the native resolution of 1680x1050. MA3 will run at 1024x786 but error on any higher setting. The failure message is generic. All other screen savers run but only allow a resolution of 1024x768.
Ignore the update from MS / ATI, everything ran fine even on multi monitors and a projector
markknight is offline   Reply With Quote