View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #74
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
By the way, I just pulled an all-nighter and got a development machine up-and-running. I bit the bullet and copied everything over to a different machine, re-installing everything I could find keys for. It's amazing to me how something as ubiquitous as MSWord can be so hard to re-install if you can't find the official CD. All these programs are RIGHT THERE, on my D: drive in the same machine, but can't be run because they weren't "Installed" on the C: drive. How I long for the days when programs could just be dragged anywhere, double-clicked, and they would simply run.

Oh, yeah - there's still ONE  
Windows uses the dumbest idea ever for tracking software that you've installed. It's called the Registry.

I was really hoping Windows Vista would be a rewrite of Windows so we could be unshackled with stupidity like the Registry, and XP would run in a window. Instead, Windows Vista took XP and piled a ton of crap on top of it, making a really horrible OS. And Windows 7 is just a service pack for Vista. A good one, but again, a huge missed opportunity to eliminate all the baggage that Windows has been carrying since 3.1.

Mac OS X doesn't use a Registry. You can just move apps from one folder to the next. To install a program off a CD, you drag and drop the folder. Done.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote