View Single Post
Old 05-08-2001, 07:35 AM   #7
EddieWan
JediMaster

VideoCard or Ram, Frame Rates

I have a 1.333 Athlon T-Bird with a Geforce 2 GTS 64ddr video card, and 256mb cas2 sdram. I get 100 fps, no matter what I use. After some trouble shooting I figured out that my fps are tied to my monitor refresh rate. This doesn't bother me as 100fps is really a lot more frames than needed. Actually, 60 frames is more than really needed. I have ran the aquarium on other cards, including a tnt2, and a voodoo3dfx 3000. The difference is not in the frame rates, though different cards give different rates. The difference is in the video card, and how well it renders the scene. The Geforce looks by far the best that I have seen, picture quality wise of the 3 I have used. I hope to upgrade to a geforce3 in a month or two, as this card really sounds awesome. My advice, if you like the videocard you have now, and you are happy with it, stay with it. If you want to upgrade, get ram now while it's so very cheap, though you won't see any frame rate increase, it'll set you up for the future as rumor has it windows xp will require 128megs ram minimum. If your not happy with the quality of your videocard, I would suggest you wait for about 2 weeks to a month, as the geforce 3 is starting to hit the market, and the geforce 2 prices will start dropping. You can't go wrong with a geforce as it is the best card on the market at this time. By the way, I use detonator drivers 12.00 if anyone is wondering.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote