View Single Post
Old 08-23-2001, 04:49 PM   #58

Re: Aquarium DVD

There are 5 different aquariums (salt, reef, freshwater), 60 varieties of fish, and 4 separate audio tracks in 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. There is a total of 15 hours of programming on the "Aquaria" DVD (it's multi-layered and double-sided). Yes, the movements of the fish are eventually repeated (there is a "click and forget" setting for having the currently selected tank repeat forever, by the way), but each tank was filmed for a couple/few hours, so you'd have to be leading a pretty sad life to actually sit around and notice that a clown swims backwards to get out of the way of a passing tang every 3 hours! Like I said, "Sachs Marine Aquarium" is a remarkable achievement indeed, worth every penny I paid, but it's got a long way to go to catch up to the real thing. Watch the fish on "Aquaria" swim with their own unique attributes, occasionally chase each other out of the way, back up, pick at corals, or suddenly dart by in a school at 100 MPH, or even cast their own unique shadows on the bottom of the tank (yes, fish actually do cast shadows!), and you'll definitely know you're looking at the real thing! I understand "Aquaria" was used at booth after booth at a recent Consumer Electronics Show to show off various plasma and other widescreen displays. If you think about it, it would be cheaper in the long run for doctors/dentists/etc. to throw up a plasma screen with an endlessly repeating copy of "Aquaria" in their offices than it would be to go with an actual tank and a caretaking service.

Regards,

Jay